The Master’s Level Student Training Program provides MFT, MSW, and PCC students with in-depth, comprehensive training in the provision of clinical services within the context of a large community mental health center setting. Most students accepted for placement are in the 2nd year of their Master’s degree programs. However, depending on available placements, the training program is sometimes able to accept 1st year students. Past students have come from a variety of well-respected schools around Southern California, including University of Southern California, University of California at Los Angeles, California State University at Los Angeles, California State University at Long Beach, California State University at Fullerton, Loyola Marymount University, Pepperdine University, Mount Saint Mary’s University, Antioch University, Argosy University, Phillips Graduate Institute and Fuller Seminary.
Our students work primarily within our Adult or Child/Family programs. In some training years, however, placement opportunities may also be available in our crisis residential houses and our Suicide Prevention Center. We provide direct, practical experience with the range of diverse clients and problems found in a community mental health center. With intensive supervision and formal didactic presentations, students gain much knowledge and experience from our practical, hands-on approach. We emphasize both depth and breadth of experience, and focus on quality of supervision and teaching.
Students who complete our training programs are given tools to become mental health professionals who can demonstrate competency in:
- Assessment, diagnosis and treatment of chronic severe mental illness and emotional/behavioral problems in adults, adolescents and children utilizing evidence based interventions
- Ethical and legal responsibilities of mental health professionals
- Cultural / ethnic / gender-sexual orientation/religious/class diversity
- Professional and personal interactions with others
- Community outreach
Download our Masters Level Student Training Program brochure
Download our Masters Level Student Training Program Application for the 2023-24 training year.
Training year: 9/6/23 – 5/31/24
MFT/PCC Trainee Application Process:
- Application submission starting: 2/1/23
- Deadline for application submission – 3/25
- Interviews will take place: 2/7 – 4/22
- Placement decisions will be made on a rolling basis
Available placement locations/programs may change over time but you will be notified of any changes at time of application.
MSW Intern Application Process:
- Application submission starting: 2/27/23
- Interviews will take place: 2/28 – 4/28
For questions about our Master’s Level Student Training Program, please contact:
For more information
Download the Master's Level Training Brochure